Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 May 2011 07:22:36 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 Viton Oil cooler Seal??
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

As far as I know there is not a viton version of this o-ring. I haven't really had a problem with it leaking as long as it is the newer version and the nut holding the cooler in place is tight. I tried running synthetic on my 90 Carat motor and I never really noticed any advantage in mileage, etc. so I switched back. I just can't bring myself to extend the oil changes :-)

-- Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

On 5/25/2011 10:40 PM, Max Wellhouse wrote: > FWIW, I had been running Mobil 1 in the engine since 5k after its > rebirth, but I've had several instances where the Oring seal at the > oil cooler was leaking. It was doing it again last winter and into > the spring, until I changed oil and returned to Castol High mileage > 10/40 oil. The leak, if not totally stopped, is much, much less for > sure. > > Since the O ring seal is black and presumably not Viton, and since > full synthetics love/demand Viton seals, could this be a coincidence, > or something more?? > > Does such a thing as a Viton Oil cooler seal exist?? An argument > could be made that the oil filter seal is not Viton and normally > doesn't leak, but I am at a loss to explain this in another logical > fashion. > > TIA > > DM&FS >