Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 May 2011 17:14:25 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anything like this for 1.9L?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

When removing the factory water cooled ATF cooler the hoses should be blocked, not joined. This will make it the same as the standard tranny systems. In fact a better option is to replace the manifold with the standard tranny version. Joining the hoses especially without a restriction is a short circuit to the radiator. As to why it is done this way the concept is that as engnine load increases the thermostat will open further so that as more flow goes to the radiator more flow will also go through the oil cooler. This is effective even though it is hot water. Oil to water heat exchangers are frequently used because they are extremely efficient at transferring heat. This also saves the cost of additional thermostats.

Dennis

A couple questions here for the wizened -- I mean wise --- listees.

On the 1.9 auto transmission version, Bentley page 19.10 shows that when the engine thermostat opens, a portion of hot coolant heading toward the rad gets routed through the ATF cooler and back to the engine, bypassing the radiator.

When the Gowesty ATF cooler is installed, the two coolant hoses that formerly went to the stock ATF cooler are joined, provided a very direct bypass around the radiator.

Manual transmission versions don't have the ATF heat exchanger coolant bypass.

So we have three versions of the 1.9L wasserboxer cooling system: stock with rad bypass through ATF cooler, GW external ATF cooler with direct rad bypass, and manual has no bypass at all. That's what I'll get when I remove those two former ATF cooler hoses and plug them.

Anyone care to speculate what effect on engine heat these variations might cause?

I ask because Marius Strom installed the same Gowesty ATF cooler on his van as I did. Like me, he has the two hoses that formerly went to the ATF heat exchanger joined together. He has noticed that his temp gauge reads a bit higher now ( <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5353379> ).

Also, is there any benefit to warming the ATF? This would be the condition with the stock AT setup when the thermostat has opened. I presume that once up to temperature, the ATF gets so hot that it actually dumps heat into the coolant.

And finally, can anyone tell where on Bentley page 19.10 the temp gauge sender is located?

-- Rocky J Squirrel

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 08:02 -0700, Jake de Villiers wrote: > The traditional way is to plug the hoses with suitably sized short > bolts and put a hose clamp on the outside. > > I prefer Lumicolour pencil crayons myself... > > > > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Rocket J Squirrel > <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks, Jeff. I wanted to look at that diagram of the cooling > setup. The > Gowesty external ATF cooler kit has you attaching the two ends > of the > now-unused coolant hoses together and they are presently > dangling down > next to the transaxle in an unattractive and sloppy way. In > order to > simplify the setup* I thought I might just remove them and cap > them off > with some kind of cap which I have not yet figured out.** > > The diagram shows that I would not be removing some important > coolant > path. Since there is no separate drawing for the manual > transmission > cooling system for the same years I bet that using a little > White-Out on > the diagram on 19.10 to remove the ATF loop would result in > the cooling > diagram for the manual transmission version. > > =============== > * Simpler is better. In the face of a zombie attack one does > not need to > deal with superannuated hoses. > > ** Suggestions for this? > > -- > Rocky J Squirrel > > > On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 23:24 -0700, Jeff Schwaia wrote: > > You can try this one: > > > > http://www.vanagonparts.com/cooling_refill.html > > > > It's kind of Vanagon generic. > > > > Cheers, > > > > Jeff > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List > [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Rocket J > Squirrel > > Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:53 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Anything like this for 1.9L? > > > > Looking for a diagram like this but for the 1.9L Vanagon: > > > > <http://www.benplace.com/cooling_system_flow.htm> > > > > -- RJS > > (Reference to the imminent zombie apocalypse have been > removed from this > > sig for reasons of politeness) > > > > > > > -- > Jake > > 1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX - 'The Grey Van' > 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Subie - 'Dixie' > > Crescent Beach, BC > > www.thebassspa.com > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 >