Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 May 2011 16:23:39 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anything like this for 1.9L?
Comments: To: camping.elliott@gmail.com

re 'heat sink.' the stock ATF cooler transfers heat from the warming up coolant to the cooler ATF when first starting out. Then, when things are hot ....heat is transferred from the hot ATF to the slightly cooler coolant. Kinda stabilized the ATF temp somewhat that way. Though I'm sure your dedicated air type oil cooler will cool the ATF better when it counts.

on your thermostat housing .. where a main coolant hose joins on there. You'll see two temp sensors screwed in. the larger blue one with too wires talks to the ECU so the ecu knows engine coolant temp. The other single wire smaller one talks to your dash temp gauge.

sounds like you're having a great time .. have a great trip ! bring tire chains , lol.

----- Original Message ----- From: Rocket J Squirrel To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:56 PM Subject: Re: Re: Anything like this for 1.9L?

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 15:34 -0700, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: I'm not 'that worried' about the two hoses being joined in the short term. sure .hot coolant bypasses the radiator, and don't really want that.

It would only be during summer climbing up long, hot grades that I'd start to question the wisdom of leaving that bypass open. Right now, no big deal. Besides, the normal ATF cooler setup is pretty much a bypass unless one considers the AT to be a heat sink . . . .

fwiw ...on Subaru-vanagons ....some coolant is always 'short circuited' in the heater circuit, since Subaru unusually uses heater circuit flow for t-stat sensing ( unlike all other makes of cars that I've ever seen ) ..

Yeah, BTW, where is the sender for the temp gauge located on the 1.9?

and it doesn't seem to hurt, having a little 'short circuit' going on there.

I've heard it mentioned more than once that the cooling system in the vanagon is more than sufficient, so I reckon the thermostat can open a bit more to compensate for the bypass.

if I just had to clamp off a hose .........and I don't really like doing

that to a hose at all, I'd just use a medium size C clamp and two small pieces of plywood, or a

good temporary set up.

That feels a lot less risky than clamping the hose with the HF clamp's skinny wire!

-- BTW, the tip you gave about cutting a slit in the back end of the gas pedal housing worked out real good. Thanks, Scott! I really like the modified "ankle to throttle" ratio that the modified pedal relay lever provides.

-- RJS (Who hopes to fix a non-op oil pressure switch and close off that coolant bypass before he heads out on Monday afternoon for a few days camping.)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:08 PM Subject: Re: Anything like this for 1.9L?