Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 May 2011 20:37:07 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: tie rod boots on '91 campmobile
Comments: To: Daryl Christensen <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM>

Thanks to all who replied to this query. I'll get some boots for the tie rod ends and get them installed, then. Will I have to realign the front end afterward? I would think so.

BTW, the use of Beetle boots for this reminds me that we just installed Jetta CV boots. This is getting to be a hybrid vehicle (though so far as I know those are the only non-Vanagon parts it has).

mcneely

---- Daryl Christensen <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM> wrote: > I used the Bug stuff on Vanagon's quite often thru the years..Tight fit, but > works perfectly. > > Daryl of AA Transaxle > 425-788-4070 > "On the cutting edge of Old technology" > 86 Syncro Westy w/Turbo Zetec in the trunk > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Old Volks Home > Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:56 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: tie rod boots on '91 campmobile > > Dave - > > I just took a look at the boot and compared with both the Beetle and > Vanagon (German Lemforder) tie rod end and boot and I really see no > difference. The center hole starts small on the boot but should > expand with the tapered end as it is shoved down, rubber is pretty > pliable. > -- > Jim Thompson > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" > Full Timing Since March 1999 > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > *********************************** > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@gmail.com> > wrote: > > Cracked boots will contribute to wearing the tie rod ends sooner. > > Unfortunately, after checking both the fiche and ETKA, it appears VW > > never offered the boots as a separately replaceable item - interesting > > note though, it shows the wire ring that retains the boot to the tie > > rods end and that is available (111 415 837).  Since that is a Beetle > > number, you might be able to use the corresponding boot (Beetle Late > > 68-79, Bus to 79): > > > > > http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/tie-rod-ends/boot-tie-rod-end-1 > 13415835 > > > > This is a great quality repro from VWG, much better than the thin > > material of the original.  Might be worth checking out. > > > > Only speculating, dunno if they would work, I'll have to compare the > > boot to the assembly Airhead keeps in stock. > > -- > > Jim Thompson > > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > > 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" > > Full Timing Since March 1999 > > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > > *********************************** > > On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > >> are cracked.  Mechanic said replace them when tie rod ends are bad and > need replaced. > >> > >> So, (1) how do I know when the tie rod ends are bad, and (2) won't > cracked boots contribute to them going bad sooner?  Can I replace the boots > only?  There seems to be no problem with steering or suspension.  I had the > thing aligned last time I bought tires (20K miles ago), and the tech did not > mention any difficulty with the alignment. > >> > >> I looked for tie rod end boots from a couple of vendors, but one had > nothing relating to tie rods, and one had only a kit including the rest of > the parts.

-- David McNeely