Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 May 2011 22:15:27 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fiberglass Bumper and Tire Questions
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

What happens to performance and handling with this bigger wheel/tire combination --- acceleration, stopping distances, fuel consumption, etc. when matched to the WBX engine wit stock tranny - manual or automatic?

Thanks,

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 5/22/2011 6:17 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > With the 14" wheels tire choices are really limited. You basically have the > OEM 205/70-14XL (General Altimax) or the 185/80 or 195/80 truck type tires. > Taller but skinnier. A 215/70-14 will only get you to a 96 load index (1554 > pounds/tire) but this is at the lower end of acceptable. Nokian does make a > really nice 225/70-14 (98 load index) that will work. > > I have just outfitted a 2nd 2 wheel drive van with 17" wheels and > 225/55-17XL tires. Load index 101. This set up has new been tested on a 91 > and an 88. As for handling improvement, like being on rails. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Nik Maravich > Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:51 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Fiberglass Bumper and Tire Questions > > Hi all > > My 87 GL has just been painted and I am going to install Fiberglass Front > and Rear Bumpers and the Front AirDam. I know there are a lot of stronger > bumpers out there but I really love the look. Anyways, I am trying to find > the correct hardware list for the bumpers and Air Dam. I looked in Bentley > and online hoping to find the hardware list. Does any know of anyone that > sells the correct Bumper and Air Dam hardware? or where I can get a list of > what is needed? The Body Shop that did all the work does not specialize in > VWs so if I can provide them the proper hardware, installation will go > smoothly and it will still be Genuine. I have given up trying to find new > alloys so I am going to run with the original 14". I am wondering what size > tire would fill the wheel wells to get the proper look. My Van will not be > doing any off-roading, > > Thanks again in advance for your help > > Nik Maravich > nikkoleto@me.com > >