Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 May 2011 11:31:16 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yeppers -- failed oil pressure switch alright.
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 13:50 -0400, David Beierl wrote:

> At 01:28 PM 5/29/2011, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > > > >My FLAPS have a replacement oil pressure switch. It is a BWD S4026. > >Website says compatible with: "Vanagon Campmobile, H4 - 1.9L vin B > >1915cc type DH - MFI GAS OHV" > > > >I can't find any more information about this part. > > How much more information would you like? 1.9l type DH engine, that's > you. Multipoint fuel injected overhead valve gasoline to boot. > They're not likely to tell you it's a .3 bar switch. [...] As everyone > knows, sometimes FLAPS listings are in error; but I think you're being > paranoid here. >

Oh, it's just paranoia -- didn't want to find out after doing all this work and ready to head out on my camping trip tomorrow that this is a commonly-misidentified or known-to-be-crappy part.

> >I believe it was the forward inner tin-holding fastener. Goes on the > >exhast manifold flange. It's a skirted nut that takes a 12mm wrench. Not > >much clearance there, I don't know if a 13mm head would fit. > > Ah so. No doubt it was 13mm when it was put on, but exhaust nuts > tend to shrink over time. Mine look like little models of Mt. Fuji.

LOL.

> > >Well, here is my simple 9-step troubleshooting process. > > I wasn't implying the switch was good, merely that the verdigris on > the terminal may not prevent you re-using it with the new switch. Of > course a new terminal and a working boot would be better.

Oh, right on. I moved the o/p switch to the top of the engine a few minutes ago, using a kit from tencentlife that allows one to stick an o/p gauge sender alongside the dash o/p switch. Cut the wire short, put on a new terminal and Hey Presto! not only do I now have a working o/p lamp on the dash, there are no leaks (yay!).

-- RJS