Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jun 2011 14:35:26 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: A little OT - old soviet passenger van photos.
Comments: To: Alan Felder <dieseldoofus@GMAIL.COM>

At 01:50 PM 6/5/2011, Alan Felder wrote: >For V content, I really like the Vanagon utilitarian image. It is a work >truck. The fact that it'it was adapted for various domestic uses is a >tribute to the VW engineering spirit. Because its a truck it is relatively >easy to work on.

Along with that, though - put it alongside the Home/Start monstrosity. *It* looks like two different vehicles combined, then run into a wall. By contrast the Vanagon is a paragon of clean integrated *functional* design. I personally think it's a handsome vehicle but handsome or not it hangs together. As did the T1/T2 which is a more fair comparison chronologically.

I think it was in '63 that even Mercedes gave in and put discreet little tailfins on, just in time for Chevy's weird design where the entire trunk was tailfin. I would have been twelve. At the time I thought that the Chevy showed how stupid it had been, 'cause everybody quit right after. Point being, I give VW a lot of credit for not falling for such stuff. The Mercedes fins I thought were pathetic. This went along with taillight wars - Ford at least made them look like rocket exhausts for a while. Huge glaring eyes.

Yrs, David