Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2011 18:11:13 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: aftermarket tach
Comments: To: Jonathan Edwards <edwards151@GMAIL.COM>

At 12:21 PM 6/2/2011, Jonathan Edwards wrote: >Next question - I'm trying to figure out where to mount this thing so that >it looks the cleanest, and is in good view. My first thought was on the >dash, to the left of the instrument cluster right in front of the side >window dash vent.

I think that's pretty far out of line of sight for a tach, especially an itty-bitty one like that. On my '84 (before I put an '85 panel in it) I mounted a 5" tach on the panel cover, right side with enough clearance not to interfere with defrost air to the windshield, and ran the cable through a drilled hole in the cover. It meant unplugging a connector (soldered on after the cable went through the hole) every time I took the lid off the panel, but that wasn't too bad. I liked it fine, but I liked the factory one a lot better. I missed that lovely clock; but the little digital clock in the middle where you're planning to drill was neat and supremely legible day or night, and a worthy trade for the tach. I forgot about the clock a day later.

>looking at the instrument cluster and noticed the space, dead center, that >is directly below the idiot lights is about the size of my tach. I've never >seen any lights come on in that space

Oh, Jonathan, my brother. You must have known you'd get yelled at for that. You're supposed to *know* what lights are available to come on, and check that they do in fact come on every time you turn the key. Hint - ALT OIL HOT/LOCOOL and they all mean Stop Right Now and find out what's actually happening before proceeding.

>- it looks to be a cheesy 'fake' notification center or something.

We Dutch apologists prefer to think of it as tastefully following the visual theme of the actual warning light panel. ;-) And the digital clock consumes much of it.

> Has anyone here ever installed a tach (or >any other gauge) in that space? Any reason not to? (assuming I have enough >clearance behind to fit the depth of the guage, probably 2"). Click link for >picture.

I see no reason not to, just be careful of dimensions and very careful of the aged plastic of the panel. A jeweler's saw and some coarse blades - no finer than #5 I would think http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/jewelers_saw_blades.htm - would be my tool of choice, but there's no way to get even a deep jeweler's saw to go around that panel. I'd probably end up using my Dremel for some or all of it.

If you take the gauge out of its cup you'll probably find it easier to fit -- IIRC the bezel and gauge are one unit and cup secures with a single nut at the back that also holds the assembly to the bracket, right? Unless the cup is doing duty as a heat sink you ought to be able to put a baggie around the works to keep dust out - some sort of cover is necessary or the needle bearings will suffer.

Yrs, d