Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2011 23:17:05 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: speedometer removal
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller6@ATT.NET>

Can I just tell you ?

you know how to get the cover off right ? ( while on that though .. here is a spot I'll bet hardly anyone every lubricates. If you've found a instrument cluster that is really hard to get off ...like you're worried you might break things.. and this is a real issue, since the speedomeoter housing plastic breaks very easily .. and often the corner tabs are broken .. so if the forward edge of the cover doesn't slip over the bumps with the spring clips there .. you're in danger of damaging the brittle plastic it's clipped too. A dab of grease on the springey clips on the cover fixes that nicely . )

cover off, that's step one. step 1.5 is remove the white plastic cover that's just sitting there. If there is a brake level switch wire on the brake MC , unplug that. I do this job with just one long phillps screw driver, btw. the only tool needed. step 2 ..remove the plug on the back of the brake warning light., on the left. step 3. .......unclip both the 4 way flasher switch and heated back window switch. Just let them flop on the side on their wires. ( you'll find these switches just barely disengage enough to remove easily. step 4 ...do the same for the light switch ...and just let it flop on its wires there. step 5 ..remove the four phillips head screws holding the instrument cluster down . Some corners maybe be broken off. They break very easily. stet 6 ....only two things left once those 4 screws are out. Lift up the cluster a little and find the main plug on the right side , and unplug that. step 7 ..reach forward on the left side, find the speedo cable..squeze to release that.

It should be in your hands now. flip it over, look at back side. you'll see the four screws that hold the speedo in .......some of those corners are usually broken too. This is very cheasy plastic. you'll have to get th printed circuit off it and out of the way .. but that's pretty easy.

one tip ..where the plugs plug onto printed circuit foil strips.. like at the back of the brake warning light ......and especially at the main plug .. those foil strips can tear and fail after a while.. so do something to lube them going back together ...I might use wd-40 there, electrical contact cleaner, or dielectric grease. The printed cirucuits are delicate....... they're 20 + years old ...and either you can't get them, or they are very expensive.

and Another Great Thing about vanagons ! this is about the easiest dash to work on in car-dom !

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Miller" <mwmiller6@ATT.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:10 PM Subject: speedometer removal