Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 2011 21:24:55 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: LVC Searching for a project
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> You should/could get one.....just to see how they are. > I think you will find they are nightmarish to work on.. > and they 'like money' when miles are high .. > 'maybe' that's at least semi-true. > > if >

Since it is Friday.... Scott, it's a farkin' Toyota. You never work on Toyotas...Who cares if it's hard to work on, if nothing ever needs work? Really, you could just toss the thing and get another cheaper than you could buy a WBX rebuild, without the cost of installing it in your Vanagon.

I agree though about Vanagons being really easy to work on. But 'dollars per mile' or 'hours of maintenance per mile' for a 4wd van? I don't think the Syncro would rate too well there, especially given that a decent one seems to be somewhere North of $8k just to get started .

Besides, there is some similarity between the VW van's evolution and the Toyota vans...Remember those tiny little 4x4 vans from the late 80s from Toyota that later changed to the Previa?. Those were like Bay windows...Then came the small underpowered 4 banger Previa (sort of like a waterboxer was a development of the Bay, the Previa from that small original Toy) They did that Previa for a few years and then supercharged em...I wish VW had gone that route with the Vanagon. An inline four, supercharged... Then they stopped the Previa and came out with the 6 cylinder....Sienna or something...Kinda like VW quit the Vanagon and started up the Eurovan, because everyone wanted MORE POWER...But both of the end vehicles from VW and Toyota ended up just generic minivans...Someone left out the cool quirks and weirdness or replaced it with "Airliner charm"

"Easy to work on"...Vanagons got that, for sure. And I wouldn't trade mine for a Previa...I want the Previa in addition to the Van...Just have to off a few of my other motor toys and my spare F-250 diesel that hasn't moved much since 2009.

.But I would, if say I had to whip down I-5 from Portland to San Diego and back for some reason, in the winter.... I would like taking a nice quiet smooth all wheel drive that can cruise comfortably at 85 all day and not have to stop to chain up in Ashland or Yreka and that I didn't have to bring along 3 milk crates of spare parts, 'just in case'. A vehicle that I could pass the semis without a preemptive steering correction as I approached the truck's cab. One that wouldn't draw the EYE of the CHP because nobody notices a minivan....everyone sees Vanagons.. You could roll out a sleeping bag and pad on any residential street and nobody would ever even glance inside a Previa.

I don't think I would choose a Syncro for an extended freeway blitz...unless it was really tricked out with de-couplers, Subie motor transplants, big aftermarket suspension mods and on and on into the low $20s or $30s...thousand that is. We'd also be talking >$500+ one way for gas in a rig like that.

Fun to think about..It would be a good 'project' like the OP was wanting. D. Hanson