Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 2011 09:04:55 -0700
From:         John Goubeaux <john@UCSB.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Follow-up odd noise on new gowesty engine
Comments: To: Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net>

Thanks Ken,

Yes, I am sure the front/rear orientation of the carrier bar is correct. At this point I am thinking that the thickness of the new rubber mounts is what has caused the bar to be just close enough to the header pipe that there is occasional contact ( only when the engine makes a jerk, such as start and stop).

As far as the quality of the Dansk pipes goes, I can only say that I got one header that had a cracked weld at the flange and a cast iron collector piece that required that I grind the bolt heads down so they would fit. I was not happy with the quality, though I understand that it is still better than no aftermarket option to choose from.

-john

On 6/1/2011 3:50 AM, Ken Wilford wrote: > John, when you put the engine carrier bar back on did you make sure > that the arrow that is on the top of each end of the bar (where you > bolt it to the body) is pointing toward the front of the van? > If the bar is installed incorrectly then this can cause a clearance > issue with the exhaust header on the driver's side. I bought a van > like this before as it was tapping and the folks thought it was a rod > knock. It sounded loud. Turned out to be bad motor mounts and > improper engine carrier install. > > I have installed and sold many, many of the Dansk exhaust systems and > the quality is the best out there. Yes I have rarely seen a bad weld > here or there but it is not a common problem, nor is poor fitment. > > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > www.vanagain.com > > > On 5/31/2011 6:35 PM, John Goubeaux wrote: >> So , just to follow up on this thread I determined that the "clunk" >> noise I ( sometimes) hear when starting or stopping the engine is the >> rear exhaust header hitting the rear engine mount bar. I replaced the >> exhaust headers on the new engine (after marker Danish ones) and along >> with poor quality issues ( one of them had a cracked weld at the flange) >> it looks like the bend on the rear pipe comes too close to the rear >> engine mount allowing it to hit the mount bar. Not sure if I can get a >> muffler guy to fix this or not but at least i know what is causing it. >> >> I'm surprised no one else has had this problem as well, as I suspect a >> lot of people are using the aftermarket pipes being sold. These were >> purchased from Van Cafe. >> >> -john >> >>> Guys, >>> >>> I have roughly 500 + miles on a new GoWesty 2.2 engine that I just >>> installed and am curious about an odd noise it makes, but only when it >>> is warm, eg been brought up to temp. On startup, ie cranking, just >>> before it starts and when turning of the engine there is a small clunk >>> noise. Almost as if before and after ignition takes place a >>> compression >>> sound as the engine comes to a stop. The engine runs fine and there are >>> no odd noises while running only at start and stop. I have not been >>> able >>> to listen to it back at the engine compartment yet but am planning >>> to do >>> so. Nothing is loose that can explain this and maybe it is a normal >>> sound and is compression on these engines? Oddly it only exhibits this >>> noise when hot though. Could it be a loose head? Sticking valve? >>> >>> Logically I am being very careful to break it in properly and am >>> listening and watching its behavior carefully and want to ensure that >>> this is not something that is going to end up being an issue down the >>> road. >>> >>> Any ideas ? >>> >>> -john >>