Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jun 2011 14:42:25 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Moderator Re: aftermarket tach
Comments: To: Jonathan Edwards <edwards151@GMAIL.COM>
Comments: cc: Ben Tan <syncro@gmail.com>

At 01:11 PM 6/4/2011, Jonathan Edwards wrote: >One question off topic - when replying to this list, what is standard >protocol - "reply-all" - seems like then the person who posted last get's >two copies - one to them and one to the list (which also goes to them)

I personally encourage public replies to most queries; otherwise nobody knows whether a question's been taken care of. In my personal capacity my ratio of public to private replies is probably 5:1 or better. I may make both public and private replies to a query, either in parallel or mixed in a thread. Usually the private ones are either because of an existing relationship or to avoid what I see as a potential for embarrassing someone.*

Reply-All is the easy way to do that, and yes, unless gmail is deciding what's best for you <grrr>** you'll get two copies if someone answers your post that way. Some people find that annoying. Personally, before gmail started swiping them out from under me I found it a valuable way to be reminded whether I'd gotten a public or private reply.

There's an alternate view that most replies should be private to avoid cluttering up the list. I disagree quite firmly with that viewpoint.

*In our moderating Ben and I started mostly private but found that for this list mostly public seems to work better.

**For possible interest - I use gmail as a portable mail-caching system. My attglobal address forwards to gmail. I can download from their POP servers and send mail through their SMTP servers from anywhere in the known universe. I never visit the website except to look in my spam folder, and I never ever see one of their ads. I use Eudora for mail, but it would work just as well with Outlook or Thunderbird or whatever.

Three little snags: their spam filtering is a bit too aggressive, they make decisions on my behalf about duplicate messages that I wish they wouldn't (another example: since my messages to the list go out through them, they suppress the incoming copy so I had to SET VANAGON VERIFY on the listserv to be sure that my priceless gems actually make it to the list), and their outgoing servers put headers on my mail such that some replies will be addressed to the gmail address instead of the attglobal one. In compensation it lets me deal with a large volume of email (several hundred a day from around thirty mailing lists/yahoo groups), get and send mail on my laptop from anywhere without losing concurrency, and be away from access for long periods if necessary without worries about overflowing my ISP's mailbox allowance.

Yours, d mod