Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jun 2011 18:04:12 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help the chimp avoid getting crushed
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 11:53 AM 6/4/2011, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >Would such a jack be helpful when working on a not-level car? I find >that when all four tires on on the ramps, the van seems mighty stable >and high enough off the ground for me to feel comfortable.

It's more stable than before...probably. If you've spiked those ramps into the ground then definitely; otherwise you're still depending on ramp-to-ground friction with the same vectors involved. But. From your numbers I'm guessing you have to raise the wheels about six inches to level the vehicle. That means your driveway is about a thirteen per cent grade, or a bit under four degrees. Your Westy at gross weight is shoving 5300 lb straight down, but the driveway is converting that to about 350 lb of horizontal vector. This total doesn't change just because you've transferred the sliding surface from the tire patch to the bottom of the ramp.

Once you start lifting things up in the air, it gets hairier, and the problem is that the vectors get worse in a hurry if things start to go. So if it starts to move and lift one side of the jack stand or jack, the horizontal force will rapidly increase and either squirt the stand out or slide the vehicle and topple the stand. Even if it just starts to roll, you're dead meat if you can't leap out of the way.

I'm with Scott. Find or build a flat place to work, or get out from under. Not that we care about you or anything, but reading gory stories can ruin your morning. ;-)

Yours, David