Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jun 2011 21:09:10 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help the chimp avoid getting crushed
Comments: To: camping.elliott@gmail.com

At 08:18 PM 6/4/2011, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >But I still don't see the problem. Maybe I'm simple.

No, you're trusting.

People get hurt when stored energy gets released in an uncontrolled fashion. What you're saying in effect is that you trust yourself - with your life - that every time you work around this beast you will not make a mistake and there will not be a material failure allowing that release. That's what we all do, it's what you have to do; and there are inherent risks. But you're loading the dice against yourself.

You're entirely right that the chance of a ramp slipping is low, probably extremely low - at least if the concrete isn't too smooth. The stuff on garage floors tends not to grab well enough to get the beast's weight up onto a metal ramp in the first place without it being restrained. So is the chance of a ramp cracking at the bend and unfolding. Or one of the ball joints suddenly letting go so a wheel folds up. And you're *certainly* right that as long as you don't do any jacking things are much more secure.

But. People do make mistakes and material does fail. Chocks pop out. And you don't get do-overs with this one. People under Monty Python's 16-ton weight vanish, but people under cars die horribly. Leaving an unsecured - and anything held by its own friction on a flat surface is unsecured - horizontal force vector hanging over your head attached to a vehicle with wheels and 5,000 lb of weight supported by springs and complicated suspension joints is leaving a continuous multiplier waiting to suddenly complicate things when some other unlikely event picks today to strike. People used to get killed by garage door springs, did you know? They just sit there looking innocent...until one day one breaks and then all hell breaks loose. Now we loop a length of cable through them to catch the pieces or at least slow them down a lot.

It's your life. But long before OSHA came along people decided that working on vehicles on a hill was imprudent in ordinary human terms. If you're going to do it, is seems to me that eliminating those risks that reasonably can be is a good idea. YMMV so I'll be quiet now.

Yours, David