Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Jun 2011 21:21:06 -0700
From:         Daniel Rotblatt <d.rotblatt@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spooked! - Oil discussion
Comments: To: Michael Rasmussen <michael@JAMHOME.US>

I was part of this discussion on the Triumph Spitfire forum when I rebuilt my spitfire last year. Like our VW's, they also have flat tappets and when I pulled two spitfire engines apart the cams and tappet faces on both where horribly pitted. Definitely a zinc problem. Recommendations of oils with zinc on our site where: Shell Rotella T SAE 15w-40, Vavoline 20w50 VR1 Racing motor oil, Brad Pen sells an oil with zinc (google it). I found some of the VR1 for my spit.

As to my Westy, my mechanic told me to run straight 30 wt oil. Haven't yet changed the oil in it, but it's on my list. I'll have to think about what to use.

Dan L.A., CA '85 Westy Weekender