Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:17:04 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: tach in an 85
Comments: To: Daniel Rotblatt <d.rotblatt@VERIZON.NET>

On an 85 with an automatic and a tach .. I use about 4,200 rpm ( maybe 4,400 ) as Hill Climbing Mode in 2nd... that'll get you up to 50 to 55 mph easily.

the top of 2nd gear is way above 30 mph.

Heck.....it is not hard at all, since the engine feels sounds almost the same at say 2,800 or 4,200 rpm from the driver's seat to, accidentally find yourself at 60 in 2nd on the freeway. BTDT.

That's a great up grade, put a tach in an 85. I think we just went over that a lot last week. One thing I noticed recently is even the gauge housing is a little different, since there's hole in the middle of the right clear plastic for the clock adjust/reset button to go though. A tachometer version doesn't have that hole.. Though it wouldn't be too horrible to have a small unneeded hole there in the middle of your tach I suppose.

what you really want ..what would be ideal is a whole instrument cluster out of an 85 with a tach .. and a digital clock. ( or a rare 84 Wolfsburg instrument cluster with all black face tach. - the first from-the-factory appearance of tachometers in vanagons I believe . )

the 86 and later can be used, but there are features like Dynamic Oil Pressure System that you need to do a small trick for. But yeah.. you want a tach. Check over all we went over.

re Of course, since it's an > automatic, an oil pressure gauge might be more useful."

I don't know where you get that correlation..... engine oil pressure is something you'd like to know, regardless of transmission type installed.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Rotblatt" <d.rotblatt@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 12:25 AM