Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2011 07:02:26 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: aux back up light installed
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> It's still turned on by engaging reverse gear ? > > I ask because .. > if it's on a manual dash switch, sooner or later it'll get left on > ( although if it's that bright you'd probably notice in the rear view > mirrors ) .. > > and hey ...you might want to flash someone following you too closely with > very bright headlights.. > but it is also illegal just about everywhere to show a white light to the > rear while driving down the road going forward. > > and then we really need cop style roof lights that point out to the side > ...for finding ninja camping spots.. > or the ultimate, the hand swiveled and tilted roof mounted spot light > ..with > the control handle inside. > Don Hanson has such. > > Scott > > My roof spotlight does work pretty well for backing up in the dark, especially when going into a tight spot that requires some twisting and turning. For frequent urban backing, a more conventional back-up light like the one discussed here would probably be easier and maybe better. The spotlight is pretty bright and has a tightly focused beam. An automated 'flood light' , like maybe a tractor headlamp, mounted like suggested here, would probably be more convenient for parking lots and driveways.

I powered my roof light from the auxiliary battery on my van. It draws significant juice, needs a ~20amp fuse. I also use that Unity roof spot light frequently when working around my campsites and to chase off unwelcome nocturnal visitors, so I draw the power separately from my vehicle run battery. I am surprised the Syncro crowd haven't discovered these lights for their type of driving use.

D. Hanson