Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:53:18 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter Woes - '88GL
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I know David, I was just going with the terminology they guy used.

the late 59 and 60's Citroens that I owned and worked on used the inertia system to make the drive gear slide out. Some slide forward away from the starter motor .. some stick out further and slide toward the starter motor to engage. I think my 67 Rover 2000TC had that. ( the nut stripped off the end on that one once, and I had to get it brazed in the wilds of canada once, to keep it working. )

the wird 'solenoid' implies an electromagnet with a cylinderical center moving piece. The solenoid you are refering to .. I call a 'Ford Fender Solenoid' .. since a very generic version was on the right inner fender of all Ford cars for nearly 3 decades.. Just any old Ford car ........like 60 Falcon, 65 Fairlane, etc.

I use them to power a manual glow plug system on diesel vans I build.

The solenoid on our Bosch starters is another application ......of a similar 'solenoid.' .. though it has two functions.. one is eletrical contact as in the 'fender solenoid' ......the other is to bring the drive gear into engagement with the flywheel.

my favorite though ... many cars could have this. On my 59 Fiat 600D .. there are two levers between the front seats just like on some late 60's VW Bugs.......where they are used to control the heater system. On the Fiat ..........one of those levers pulled on a cable, .,that engaged the 'mechanical solenoid' on top of the starter . so rather than using magnatism to make the main contact to run the starter motor, and move the gear out to engage the flywheel teeth .... you just did that manually , against spring pressure, with your hand on the lever. Pretty slick. the cable in that car was only about 4 1/2 feet long, and a straight shot ..so cable drag or getting sticky wasn't much of a factor.

trivia - what is the last year of VW Bus that had hand crank starting at the crankshaft pulley ? My 56 Commercial had that.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:30 AM Subject: Re: Starter Woes - '88GL