Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Jun 2011 22:28:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: can't register my Vanagon, Calif madness, LVC

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Oxroad <oxroad@gmail.com> wrote:

> California is something of a mess financially and when it comes to logic. > Exactly Mark, who wants to drive out of states with expired tags and > then what, return to court in that state to plead your case. > > In the Los Angeles area it looks like they are doing away with the $400+ > red > light camera tickets because they found it costs more money to operate the > red camera light system than the system brings in. I'm not sure who is > doing > that math. > > > http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0608-red-light-20110607,0,6393615.story > > And remember when California charged you a fine of about $300 I think, up > to > about the year 2000, for registering a vehicle from out of state if you > relocated to California and brought your car with you. As I recall the > State > had to eventually return that fine to the persons they collected it from if > a claim was filed. > > "I'm sorry sir, we're so broke we can't accept your money." Ugh. And for > those of you not in California, it costs a boat load to register your car > here already. > I pay just over $350 for the year for my Toyota. I forget what the Vanagon > costs, but it's a little less IIRC. > > Best, > Jeff > 83.5 Westy > LA,CA > > > > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > > > The DMV website says I can't pay. > > > > > > Changes to Registration Renewals Due July 1, 2011 and Later > > * No money will be collected until renewal notices are issued. > > (Previously renewal fees could be collected up to 75 days ahead of the > > expiration date... ) > > > > >

I have a lot in San Diego county that I was planning on doing a house on as a retirement supplement for income... I bought when the prices were still high...Then the 'bubble' burst and my property value dropped like a lead balloon, but California sent me a really high value property tax assessment anyway....

I went to contact the assesor's office to file an appeal, but I was notified that "due to budget shortfalls, the property assesment appeals department was closed"...for a convenient time until well afer my taxes were due.....They assesed the lot at $70k when it is now worth maybe $15, if you could find a buyer...Silly... It would cost me more just to file all the permits and get past the hoops of the state than the total value of any house I could build. The permitting is easily equal to the cost of materials and labor in San Diego county what's up with that?....and this is no special district...not Coastal Commission or Scenic Area or National Seashore.... No wonder people move away from Kalifornia in the droves...no wonder that state has problems...A shame too, cause it's really a beautiful place...