Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 11 Jun 2011 14:49:00 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Really Dumb Question About Aux Batteries Install.
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

let me try to answer your question then. ( not that it hasn't been addressed... For 'some questions' the question being asked is not from a well-informed position.. so people have to explain, or lay down the context, to give an intelligent answer. Here's mine. )

the relay under the back seat gets enginerized when two conditions are met .. engine is running, and alternator is charging.

It commonly has two purposes .. one is to provide 12 volts to the fridge so is can operate only with engine running and alternator charging.

That relay is also used to route charging voltage to an aux battery if one is fitted. What you power off that battery .. if there isn't some stock wiring already ..is up to you and how you wire it.

I thought it was pretty interesting that some vans have a 2nd battery .. but the only thing it powers is a cig lighter type outlet. And I find it rather a bother to reroute wires in the van so interior lights that were factory-connected to the starting battery , or now connected to the aux. battery .

other thoughts - fwiw .. I like 'all manual' low tech battery changing control. I like a heavy duty battery switch in either the pos or the ground cable for each battery. Then .. you can start off either battery ..... like maybe your starting battery is a little weak, but house battery has a good strong charge. Or you can start off both batteries if you ever need to. You totally control which is the starting and which is the aux battery. and both batteries switched off is an anti-theft feature ..and some battery switches are even a 'key' .a part you take out , just like a key. Further anti-theft ability.

there is only ONE caveat ..with this simple system.... make sure at least one battery is switched in any time the engine is running.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 10, 2011 2:10 PM Subject: Re: Really Dumb Question About Aux Batteries Install.