Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:12:46 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] FYI: Wi-fi Use + Security (Westy travel etc.
              content)
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: all listees <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. > > In light of recent list spam, an FYI. It's travel season, so posted > sooner than later. Not being teachers pet, but please lets not let > this thread balloon out of whack. > > BBC video via MSN (with 30" ad) showing "hacker" easily hopping aboard > ones Facebook or similar account while they log in (or just use?) via > unsecured Wi-Fi: > > http://tinyurl.com/3jf3ses > > Speculation: could be done automatically by "bot" or similar? IF so, > would happen with lightning speed. > > A business or similar doing this would likely be in serious trouble if > caught, (so why would they bother?) but for a lap top toting > individual sitting near you..... > > I don't know how well "private browsing" or equal (a selectable > setting in your web browser) works to stop this. From what little I > know, I DON'T think it would. > > Wikipedia link on Firesheep used by the "hacking" tech in the video: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firesheep > > Neil. > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" >

I heard about this happening in the small town in California where we've spent some winter months. A very small remote desert town where visitors often use the Wi-Fi signal of a California county library to acces their mail or to conduct business. I was told that people's computers have been hacked there, by others, sitting in RVs out in the parking lot...there are many who're really quite desperate and almost penniless, living 'rough' but hanging by a thread now a days. I'd see them often in seedy old junker cars or RVs....(hey, that was me! grin)

When using a public signal, I use Gmail and keep a close watch on my 'account activity' shown on the bottom of the gmail screens. I don't leave my computer online when it is not being used, if I am using a public signal.