Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jun 2011 10:26:01 -0600
From:         Ken Wyatt <57skibum@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Dreaded Emissions test

Opps sorry I somehow deleted the results of the second test on a very warm engine. It still failed after freeway driving. HC was still over the max of 220 at 437 PPM versus 469 PPM cold. CO was 2.83% cold and 1.577% warm. The CO2 on the first test was 12.94% and O2% was 1.46% at 2500 RPM. At Idle it was CO2 at 11.37% and O2 at 2.07 %. It appears we don't check NOx anymore here in Salt Lake.

I had always heard that the older VW aircooled engines were designed to run slightly rich to enhance engine cooling. Anyone care to comment on that. My mechanic is an old VW guy from way back and I feel he knows the engines. He completely built it last year with new heads and all. So i am having him take the first look at it this week while I'm working, hoping its just a small adjustment. Will report back.

Cheers, Ken Wyatt 82 westy Thinking of mounting my 1976 Lincoln Continental Mark IV's large chrome grill onto my 82 Westy, as soon as I add a radiator for the 460. It fits the front vanagon contours well.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Ken Wyatt <57skibum@gmail.com> wrote: > Howdy vanagonauts,  I'm having trouble getting my 1982 westy to pass > Utah emissions.  Scary thing is that it has a new (3000 miles) > aircooled 2.0 l FI engine.  I thought it would be no problem to pass. > But NOT!!  I'm failing on the idle HC and CO. > > Last Friday for the first try, the mechanic tested the engine cold and > got HC at 469 (passing is 220 or less), and 2.83 on CO (passing is > 1.2% or less)  The higher 2500 RPM test resulted in HC 203 and CO at > 0.979 % which was passing just barely passing there. > > I figured that it was just the cold engine.  So today I drove it until > it was completely at operating temp quick thoughts on where to start > or what to check?  The engine sounds perfectly VW to me.  The idle is > running about 1100 and I'm wondering if that's slightly high. > > It sure would be nice to go camping but no registration..............  No fun!! > Ken Wyatt > 82 westy >