Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:17:04 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Mini-Road trip or Sunday drive...(long)
Comments: cc: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>,
          WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Just took the 84 low top westie interior 2.0 liter inline motored 5sp for a ~500mile drive in the North central part of Oregon. I had a bike race near Salem, so I went via the interstates to make my start time at ~9am. I-84 west through the Columbia River Gorge, then 1-5 south to Salem in the Willamette valley to the west of the Cascade mountains. I left home at daybreak (~5am) and putting the speedo at 70, had a easy cruise to the Time trial. That leg of the drive I got 22mpg.

To return home, I decided to take Santiam Pass (hwy 20) across the Cascades to near Bend, then cut north behind all the volcano peaks to my home base near The Dalles, Or..in the Columbia Gorge. I'd not been over Santiam Pass for many years and the last time was on a fast sportbike. That route is beautiful. The pavement had some big slumps and there is still a lot of snow in the high country.. Lots of Harleys and once I joined up with the 22 on the east slope of the Cascades, many returning recreators, heading home Sunday afternoon, to the central valley and Greater Portland.

It was fun to drive the Vanagon. Oregon and Washington have 'slow vehicle turnouts' on most two lane roads. It was me, waiting for these to pass other vehicles, even climbing this winding 5000' climb. There were some switch-back corners marked "15mph" which my van handled quite well, though I did bang the bumpstops on a few sections where the pavement had 'slumped' due to all the rain and snow over the winter. When I stopped near Sisters, Or. after the mountains, I noticed I'd been cornering hard enough to cause the water tank to slop out of my filler..

Since I was pushing the vanagon quite a bit harder than I normally do, I was closely watching my gauges. I have not done a "blitz-trip" since I installed my 'new' 93 Jetta ABA block and got it all sorted out. I've done plenty of long easy miles but this time I was driving for pure enjoyment of the drive and pretty empty of load, so I was pushing it, just to see....

The coolant temp gauge stayed where it has always read...right above the "cold" range bracket near the bottom of the scale. Longer sustained climbs would see it rise a little to just below the LED blinker. My oil temperature ran right at 208f climbing to about 225-30f on one very significant grade that I pushed up at ~ 70mph just to see if I could. My oil pressure at speed is around 60-70psi, running 20-50 Penn at about 3700rpm and 65mph in 5th.

Just had one minor alert. I have recently seen my mixture go rich on hot start for a few seconds. I am thinking I have a faulty connection on either my O2 sensor or perhaps my Temp II sensor is acting up. I didn't get a chance to chase this down before this drive. So I was carefully monitoring all my instruments as I drove the van hard! There's a long steep grade that normally brings my speed down in most vehicles I've driven up it...This vanagon in the past, I take up that climb at about 60 mph with a backshift to 4th and holding my rpms to about 4000...But I had a clear road so I decided to go for it and I hit the hill with a good run at it...about 75mph...I was holding that speed in 5th, foot on the floor, watching my oil and water temp...the oil was climbing a bit at a few miles into the climb and I then saw some smoke in my mirrors...."Uh oh" I think...."There goes my Rescue tape water hose patch" I backed-off the throttle and went on 'full alert' but everything seemed really normal...Oil temp was not excessive (just under 230f ) water was normal, oil pressure was right at 65psi, no missing no strange sounds...just some smoke in my mirrors. I finished that hill at my normal pace...65mph and ~4000 rpms in 4th...the smoke stopped. I pulled over to check things out but nothing. Good coolant level, proper oil level, no strange smells no oil spots or drips... I surmise now, after some thought, that perhaps my mixture went 'full rich' for a few seconds again.

Anyway, I wasn't too worried after getting out to check the hose (I carry a spare/replacemtent for that one) and with the feedback I had from my gauges....and if for some really wierd reason that motor blew....I have towing and they are only ~$300 to replace....So I slapped down the pedal and finished an enjoyable Sunday outing. I'll be checking my O2 sensor this morning and sticking in my spare Temp II sensor and checking all those plugs and wires...

What fun things Vanagons are...as Scott often says. too long post sorry Don Hanson