Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:21:17 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Possilbe coolant leak in heater core vicinity
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>

The answer is yes it will pressure the front of the van too.

Doing a pressure test is the right thing to do. I'd say you could push it a little further than 14psi, not too much further, but a little.

the front heater core and the radiator are in quite different compartments. If it's the front heater core leaking, you sure should smell 'some anti-frz smell sometimes.'

( Also, it's quite normal for rear heater cores to be leaking .. and you might be able to smell that sometimes...or that could even be what your leak is. )

if it's the radiator ...you probably won't smell it inside the van.

I suggest to all my clients to smell in the left rear upper air intake vent every time you get out of the van .after driving ........the tiniest leak of a-frz will be pretty apparent there if it's on the engine anywhere. So will raw fuel, or burnt oil, be very apparent with the ole sniffer there.

fwiw ..I don't think I've ever seen a later model radiator leak. They mainly just won't remove heat that well after a while. Might check that the bleed valve screw on the rad is tight and not leaking.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Johnson" <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:02 AM Subject: Possilbe coolant leak in heater core vicinity