Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 2011 15:07:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold start issue [SOLVED]
Comments: To: camping.elliott@gmail.com, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

hot dog Jack, way to go. I still suggest the 'wiggle test' while idling .. if that connector is weak or acting up ... it's better to know now.

and there was the suggestion/question about dielectric grease.. I like to follow up on good working contacts with that stuff.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: Rocket J Squirrel To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans ; David Beierl Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:15 PM Subject: Re: Re: Cold start issue [SOLVED]

You guys are so smart. I unplugged, peered at, added a bit of contact cleaner into, then re-plugged the connector back into the Temp 2 sensor, and now the van is right as rain.

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 13:54 -0700, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: re Reads 3.4K ohm @ 13 degrees C, which is smack dab in the middle of the > >expected correct reading per figure on Bentley page 24.19.

These sensors can be 'nebulous'. In other words ..if they do spec right .. it can still be poor contact ( worked on that on an 84 for quite a while one time ) at Temp Sensor II, or the sensor itself.

I suspect you might have gotton the common cheaper aftermarket one two years ago. The OE ones are better.. and ...seriously ...contact to that sensor .. like spark plugs wires ..once in a while you can go nutty on an engine problem and in the end it was just ( nebulous also ) spark plug wire, or

..........contact at the sensor.

I have also seen them be ok cold, but wonky hot, etc.

if it was a hundred dollar part ...we'd rather not take a chance on one unless we think that's really it. but at 10 to $ 35 ...and you should have a spare anyway .. worth trying. wiggle the wires to it while the engine is idling. Gently ..but try that. or better yet, ohm check from the ECU connector on the right pins while you wiggle, key

off, engine off. See if the ohm meter reading acts up.

there are times when a new one just makes a difference. and always be suspect of the connecion there. it is 27 years old after all. Wiring does deteroiate in VW's over time. And the most stress and wear is on the ends..at the connectors. ( might try with O2 disconnected, just for the fun of it. That 'could' reveal something. )

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rocket J Squirrel" <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 12:12 PM Subject: Re: Cold start issue