Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 2011 20:28:34 -0700
From:         ron johnson <rcj.yes@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Coolant reservoir full; Overflow tank empty?

A few questions from someone who never really paid attention before....

I have had a few minor issues with the cooling system and am now becoming concerned. FYI, the Van is driven only occasionally - just a few thousand miles per year.

Over the Winter, the temp gauge began reading cooler and cooler; eventually I decided to replace the thermostat and the needle starting reading in the middle of the scale again. A month or so ago, I pulled the level sensor to clean it. It was a bit tough to unscrew and I probably over tightened it and it broke the other day (after stopping at home - thankfully!). I replaced the sensor and refilled the reservoir. Tonight after driving it until it fully warmed up, I took a look at the Reservoir and it was full of coolant. The Overflow tank was empty.

1. Is it required to bleed the system after replacing the thermostat? Not much fluid was released and the temp seemed to behave normally afterward.

2. Is it normal for the Reservoir to be full AND under pressure (when warm) while the Overflow tank is empty?

3. How does the blue cap on top of the Reservoir work? Is it supposed to release coolant to the Overflow tank or suck coolant in from the Overflow tank?

many thanks,

Ron Johnson Portland, OR '91 Weekender - "Betsy"