Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 9 Jun 2011 01:02:17 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant reservoir full; Overflow tank empty?
Comments: To: ron johnson <rcj.yes@GMAIL.COM>

At 11:28 PM 6/8/2011, ron johnson wrote: >1. Is it required to bleed the system after replacing the >thermostat? Not much fluid was released and the temp seemed to >behave normally afterward.

No. I'd run it for a few minutes with the valve on the top of the thermostat housing open. Keep topping up the overflow after every overnight cooldown until the level quits dropping. If anything Dennis Haynes says disagrees with me, listen to him.

>2. Is it normal for the Reservoir to be full AND under pressure >(when warm) while the Overflow tank is empty?

Certainly, except that the overflow tank should never be empty.

>3. How does the blue cap on top of the Reservoir work? Is it >supposed to release coolant to the Overflow tank or suck coolant in >from the Overflow tank?

The cap has two valves in it. The outgoing valve opens around 13 psi and allows coolant or bubbles to bleed off into the overflow tank when the system is hot. Any time the system comes up to temperature I'd expect it to spit a little into the overflow bottle.

The incoming valve works on very much lighter pressure, and allows the system to suck coolant back in from the overflow when it cools down. There are Min and Max marks on the overflow bottle for where the level should be maintained when the system is cold. If your system has a slow leak you can fill the overflow bottle almost to the lip without causing a problem; this will give you a little more reserve capacity. Remember that the system only pulls coolant back from that tank while it's cooling down.

Yours, David