Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:46:51 -0700
From:         James V <chimivee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Follow Up on Yesterdays Post About New Stereo

I also prefer rear usb / aux inputs. Keeps the wiring (and usb drive / ipod, if you choose) out of sight. I also have a standalone satellite radio receiver (suctioned cupped to the windshield), so the rear aux input let's me cleanly "hardwire" it to the back of the receiver. (cable is routed under the dash through the back of the dash pod)

Pandora is great. And a few head units allow you to control it directly, so you can - view artist / song, thumbs up/downs, etc on the display. (But this may be only for Pandora running via iPhones.)

As far as controlling your USB / MP3 / iPod via the head unit, I think the practicality of this varies between head units. I have a Sony with a single line display in another car, and controlling the USB drive is useless. I think units with multi-line displays may make it a better experience. By ditching the CD drive (or using a flip-down face) and eliminating things like radio pre-set buttons, some displays are quite large:

http://tinyurl.com/4x5yehl

Personally, I never listen to CDs anymore and because my van is for road-tripping, I don't listen to "terrestrial" radio. So maximizing my digital music / sat radio experience and keeping things as tidy/concealed as possibly is priority.

Oh, and yeah, Crutchfield is great!

James V 86 Syncro