Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:43:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: spare tire tray  (was nut)
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

re "No need to "get under there" at all. Just use a lug wrench, or 19mm socket > on a ratchet, and do it from above. You'll need to feel around a bit, but > that's what fingers are for!"

that's doing it without being under there I gather .. so .......you just pull the hook release and let the tire carrier crash to the ground ? you 'could' of course.

I'd say ...if there's a front flat .. jack up the side with the flat, at the front of the van, but don't remove the wheel yet. Not safe to be under there when it's being supported by a jack of course. but doing it in that order will get you access to the spare .

it's a good place for the spare.. There's some crashworthiness help, and the weight of the tire is kept low in the vehicle. ( though it doesn't help in terms of there being more weight on the front axle ( 2WD vangons ) and not enough on the rear axle relatively. )

people have noticed you can put the spare in so you can have the tire valve sticking out ..so you can check spare tire pressure in situ, I hope.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 9:53 AM Subject: Re: spare tire tray (was nut)