Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:34:48 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hissing relays-solved!

Very interesting. I guess the clue should have been that hissing correlated with the engine running. Or did it hiss with residual vacuum after the engine was off? That hose has little pressure or stress on it. I would use Automotive Goop. Strong and very adhesive but still a little flexible.

Edward

At 11:47 AM 6/18/2011, David Clarkson wrote: > Of course everyone out there in Vanagonland knew that relays > couldn't hiss-no way possible. I kept thinking relays because the > hissing came from their vicinity right after they were replaced. > Here's what happened. I was approaching my street after driving > some twisty roads when the headlights cut out and I smelled a > burning smell. What happened was the battery shifted in the battery > box and crushed the glass in-line fuse that goes to the headlight > relay setup (Bad idea to have this type of fuse here btw) This > shorted out and melted some wires for the relays and heated up one > relay. I repaired everything with new wiring and relays and a flat > blade fuse that couldn't be damaged as easily. I then noticed the > hissing noise whenever the engine was running. Credit is due here > to a list member (sorry I don't remember your name) that said check > the brake booster vacuum line and booster. I dismissed this idea at > the time since the brake pedal felt normal and sank slightly after > starting the engine. When I inspected the hose I found a burn/cut > area that I promptly patched and stopped the noise! You can > apparently have a leak in the hose and still have a normal feeling > brake pedal. A wire that got hot when everything shorted burned > through the insulation and also throuhg this hose. I have it > patched temporarily with electrical tape. I may look for a more > permanent repair with something like an epoxied tape. Any > suggestions are welcome since the hose is in good condition > otherwise and is a plastic formed hose that would be > difficult/expensive to replace. Now on to today's project: odometer > and T14 connector repair. Does anyone know the name of the white > plastic connector that I need to replace that has the clips on > either end? This is what holds the ribbon cable connection in place > and mine has a broken clip on one end. The odometer repair should > be the same as it required about 10,000 mi. ago but this time it > will be done more permanently. Thanks to everyone on the list that > helped me with this automotive puzzler. > >David Clarkson >90 Westy > >