Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:01:20 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem: While Removing from Disc Brake Pads the top Caliper
              Receiving Bolt Wont Slide In & Out of the Carrier - Siezed
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

stuck upper guide pin ? the pin the moving part of the caliper slides on, top and bottom .

that has to be smoothly sliding of course .. or the brakes can really work there.

17mm ? the guide pins have 13mm hex head bolts.. and you do need a thin 17 open end to hold the pin from rotating to undo the 13mm hex head bolt.

the caliper carrier ..is bolted to the spindle with 19mm large bolts, which can be very tight indeed.

here's what I would do .. but I have lots of dead vanagons to rob parts off of . I like to make a 'brake ling screw plug' .. by taking an old brake line end , with the nut on it ...and about two inches from the end ...flatten the pipe solidly. that gives you a nice way to remove the brake hose , and plug with it with a solid, non-leaking screw connection made from the right part. so you block off the RF brake hydraulics that way ... remove the whole caliper assembly ( sounds like you really should have a whole new rebuilt caliper and turn this old one in for a core. ) Then drive *carefully* and *gently* ( ! ! ) on 3 brakes to a repair place.

those large caliper holder bolts.. there's a trick sort of. they can be so tight that a regular breaker bar won't quite give the right line of force. But a swivel head long ( 18 inches ) half inch breaker bar will.. since you can move the handle of the breaker bar outboard away from the body of the van to the twisting force right in plane with the bolt head. They can be in there like 150 ft lbs. The real right tools really help a lot there.

for a thin 17 open end .. I have some tool out of car's tool kit from somewhere. I find tools like that in the trunks of dead cars etc...people just leave tools laying around ...literally.

see if it's ATE or Girling. you'll need to know as the caliper carriers ( part of the van, not the brake, parts-wise ) are different between the two.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Stewart" <robertmstewart@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:18 PM Subject: Problem: While Removing from Disc Brake Pads the top Caliper Receiving Bolt Wont Slide In & Out of the Carrier - Siezed