Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Jun 2011 18:59:46 -0700
From:         reiderikson <reiderikson@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dome circuit wiring

Ladies and Gents,

1990 Camper here:

I thought I was just about finished with the rewiring of my dome light circuit until I went to test it. Keep in mind that ignorance is what led me to the rewiring project in the first place, so in all likelihood it could be happening again.

I have replaced the wires from the fuse panel up through the "A" pillar and over the drivers door back to the galley lights. I also spliced in above the door to connect power and ground over to the passenger visor light. Even added an extra wire to power a 12v outlet up over the front of the slider for string lights when camping or top bunk access. Haven't figured out where to take power from for that, but I digress...

With the wires to the drivers dome light connected, and the ground connected to the crowded ground plug, testing with an ohmmeter shows some sort of continuity between my red (power) and brown (ground) wires feeding the dome light. I expected to see a reading of infinite. The batteries are disconnected.

I'm thinking this could be a problem, right? Haven't tested behind the radio to the cig lighter, but I guess there could be a short that way somewhere? l only replaced the wires on the dome circuit side of the connector where the red and black wires connect to the red and green/white (T2c Bentley 97.210 and .215).

My ignorance of 12v auto circuitry leaves me unsure if this is just the way the circuit works or if I have a problem.

Unhooking the wires from the light and testing the red (I think T2c/1 from Bentley 97.210) and brown (#30 grounded "near relay panel" same page) above the driver's door shows the same continuity as well.

Little help here?