Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:07:46 -0700
From:         Zeitgeist <gruengeist@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: diesel engines

I'm in the preparations stages of an mTDI (one wire) build for my Bluestar, so I'll get the best of both approaches; power/efficiency *and* simplicity. I've owned and maintained at least a dozen or more VW and Mercedes diesels, and see no downside to them whatsoever. I prefer the simplicity of manual injection pumps, so I'm also in the process of building a previously electronic actuated injection pump 6 cylinder turbodiesel (no wire) swap into my Mercedes wagon. I just love the rhythmic sewing machine clatter of an idling diesel. Some folks are just hardwired as dieselheads.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Peter K <turbowesty@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a lot of conversations with other diesel owners at BusFusion > including TD vs TDI. To sum it up: > > If you want great power and speed you go TDI. And accept the added > complexity that comes with it. > If you want simple and reliable the you have AAZ written all over you. > Simpler conversion, simpler to keep on the road. less power, not as fuel > efficient. > > Neither is cheap, and while YMMV you'll still like that improvement. > > Regards, Peter Kraiker > http://studiofstop.com > > On 2011-06-17, at 16:25, Mike Miller <mwmiller6@ATT.NET> wrote: > > > Van-illas, > > > > Please lend a hand if you have an informed [or uninformed but amusing] > > opinion about the relative merits of TDIs vs AAZ diesels. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Mike >

-- Casey