Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:20:30 -0400
From:         Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem: While Removing from Disc Brake Pads the top Caliper
              Receiving Bolt Wont Slide In & Out of the Carrier - Siezed
Comments: cc: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Hey Scott,

What I am pointing to in this photos is the stick sliding top pin on the passenger side caliper. I removed the caliper and was trying to loosen the sliding pin to lubricate it before I put the caliper on but it was very stuck. I got it to move about 1/4 of an inch in 2 hrs using WD40.

I assume they must sell a bolt puller of some kind right?

I used my neighbors tools and found something that would allow me put pressure on the end of the bolt to pull it so I could fasten the caliper closed.

I sat there with the wrench, loosening it but it hardly moves. I tried to use my large 1 ft long mechanics screwdriver and rubber mallet to try and push it out but it will not move.

Other issues I mistakenly opened the cover on the Master Cylinder Brake Fluid Container and now I need to bleed the brake lines as I have little pressure. Where do I find the details on how to do this for the front brakes?

Can I do this by myself?

TIA!

-- Rob Bloomingburg NY 88 Wolfsburg, Silver 265,000 miles - automatic, rebuilt engine with 5K