Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:48:22 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '84 1.9L 2-WD -- cold start problems still the same after new
              O2-sensor, new Temp II sensor, and new plugs
Comments: To: pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>

hi.. no..a 'cold start valve' is a '5th injector' .. used on fuel injection systems prior to Digijet and Digifant. CIS fuel injection cars use them .. air-cooled Vanagons have them .. but not our waterboxer vanagons.

the Aux Air valve can affect idle... It is basically a temp-controlled air valve that increases cold idle speed by routing air around the throttle plate. in my experience they all seem pretty 'sleepy' these days.. like they do not seem to increase cold idle speed much at all.

I won't say 'it just can not be the aux air valve' causing hard starting, but I will say that the part itself is unlikely to cause hard cold starting.

and ..of course, if any hoses are off or anything like that .. that could affect cold starting ..but it would also show up as an idle problem warm, most likely.

scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "pickle vanagon" <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 1:05 PM Subject: Re: '84 1.9L 2-WD -- cold start problems still the same after new O2-sensor, new Temp II sensor, and new plugs