Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:13:41 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Another Good Experience With Crutchfield
Comments: To: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

I just had another good experience buying auto electronics from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/ . I needed to change head units to be able to use the Aux input, fed by an MP3 player, I got tired of hauling around a bunch of CDs. I was first able to get the Aux adapter for my five year old Pioneer unit and that worked initially but quit after a couple of uses. I called tech support at Crutchfield and after going through setting changes agreed that for some reason that part of the head unit had failed. So I asked about a replacement. As has been for some time the Crutchfield website will tell you that they have no units that will fit into a Vanagon dash. Any DIN (2" high) unit should fit but the problem is depth. But the advisor on the phone assured me that a specific Pioneer unit I was looking at (and on sale for about $70 including shipping) should fit if the old Pioneer unit fit. So I ordered. And when it arrived it included the full wiring diagrams and instructions for a complete install. Also included was the (unneeded in my case) wiring adapter for the original VW wiring. The new unit uses the same plug and wiring scheme as the old so it took me less than 15 minutes to swap the new unit into the dash of my '90 Westy, 'Plug 'n Play' type install. And it works great now. The usual disclaimers, I don't work for Crutchfield, have no stock in the firm, get no kickbackd, etc. Just another happy camper after dealing with them.