Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:28:53 -0700
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Good Experience With Crutchfield

Our Vanagon received a new head unit and speakers a few months ago. Man, it took me lots of time to get it all in with my best effort on a quality install, best attempt at being an engineer.

1. I ordered speakers from Crutchfield, in large part because of the recommendations I read here on the list and just a general good feeling I would work with a good group. Sure there are lower cost approaches, but.... Thanks Loren, the Crutchfield path is a very good one.

2. Installed a Kenwood head unit (quite old one, sitting in the garage for some years, long story, Kenwood KDC-516S). The depth from the manual is 162mm or 6 5/16" in. I got it to squeeze in there. I also got the "CD changer to RCA plug" adapter; and then with another $2 converter it allows the connection of the typical iPod or in my case an Android.

It required cutting out the stock steel bracket behind the radio, I guess the stock radio used that metal bracket for stability, which is a good idea if practical. I cut it with a Dremel (just trying to look good, actually used a knock-off Black and Decker Wizard [crapppy] about 18 years old) with those ceramic cutoff wheels. Without that bracket it all fit so nice. Crutchfield is great at posting all of the owner's manuals, and the manuals have the specs, so download them and check the specs on depth, and then as the old saying goes: "measure twice and cut once".

Roland