Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:44:14 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Another Good Experience With Crutchfield

Here is the Pioneer Unit I just put in: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P4200UB/Pioneer-DEH-P4200UB.html?search=4200UB&tp=5684

So far I love it. The bonus of having the USB port is that aside from using it for an MP3 player you can also just use a thumb drive in there. The unit will read MP3 and WMA files. Works great and I can now carry A LOT of music on a very small device. Plus this unit has the front AUX port as well.

This unit fit fine - however the stock metal braket under the dash has been removed from my bus too. Not sure it would have fit with that bracket there.

I agree with Loren - speakers are the key. I just installed these in the front: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_065SC50/Boston-Acoustics-SC50.html?search=SC50&skipvs=T

They sound great! I love Crutchfield but I do have to admit I found these speakers on EBay brand new for half the price Cruthfield is selling the for.

Once I figure out how I am going to mount rear speakers (I have a hard top '85 GL so not cabinet) I plan on getting the matching Boston Acoustic non-component speakers for the back (SC55 is the model).

I also found some decent shallow mount smaller diameter subs - one a 6" and one and 8". I may add something like that later. I don't need to thump but would love to have better Bass sound at highway speeds.

I think speaker baffles are importatnt too - they are inexpensive - improve your speaker sounds and keep the speakers clean as well.

Now just to figure out how I am going to deal witht he window cranks hitting the speakers :) I've had some good suggestions from others here but nothing that will really work for me at this point.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '90 Carat (Grover - the noble parts donor) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus