Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:49:15 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Wet Running Issues/ Not Running '85 1.9 **Solved** (long)

Well, I finally got a chance to drive Gertie in a hard rain yesterday and am happy to report I had no problems at all she ran like a champ. I'm confident my wet running issues are fixed - Yay!!!

To re-cap: When driving in a medium to hard rain (no problems in light rain or any amount of snow) I would get about 10 miles or sometime a bit further and Gertie would lose power, run rough, and eventually not run or start at all. I would then have to leave her sit for a while - usually until the next day (if it wasn't still raining) and she would start after about 15-30 minutes of messing with her. Then run fine until the next rain.

What I tried that didn't work: I first checked the Dist cap and plug wires. I replaced them all with good new Bosch parts. I eventually changed the Dist cap again just in case. I checked all wiring and grounds in the engine bay - cleaned a few things up - but didn't correct the issue I did a lot of fiddling with the temp sensor and it's wiring - because a previous test with a digi tool told us it was a little flaky - I eventually replaced it - no fix

The Suspected Solutions: 1. Resealed the gas tank - I knew I had to reseal my tank because anything over 10 gallons in the tank would smell of gas or spill out onto the ground. Once I had the tank out I discovered that the small vent tube that attaches to the filler neck wasn't connected to the tank and the grommet where it would connect was just gone. Although I suspected this may have been the issue all along most of the advice I was getting (and my gut instinct) was leaning toward an electrical type issue. After talking with Greg Potts and a few others they seemed confident this was my issue and water was getting into the tank and causing my problems. We all know that water in the gas is not good - but another issue was that the small square crappy fuel filter kept plugging up - the assumption is if water is getting in so is dirt and other crud. (I suspected the tank was full of sediment and possibly rust but once I had it out and inspected it it was clean and clear and non-rusty inside). So when I sealed the tank I moved to the later model large canister fuel filter.

2. I swapped the coil out with a know good one from my previous '90 Carat (RIP Grover).

I can't say exactly which of these fixed the problem - my brother and a couple others think it was the coil - I am leaning towards the gas tank issue myself, based on my conversations with Greg and his experience with a very similar issue. Either way it was one or the other and things appear to be fixed. I am glad because Gertie runs like a top and having her be my daily driver I need her to be dependable.

-- Thanks,

Jeff '85 GL (Gertie) '90 Carat (Grover - the noble parts donor) '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus