Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:37:49 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remote starter switch mayhem (Funny -now)
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

At 12:57 AM 6/23/2011, TJ Hemrick wrote: > In the sake of safety, I'll let this one out of the bag.

My father did (essentially) the same thing with his Chrysler station wagon. Intermittent starting problem, too much trouble to fix, automatic transmission. His too ran away. That's why I won't have a permanently rigged button in the engine room (or on the dash for that matter). Too much opportunity for mayhem, which is of course why they put the neutral-safety switch in the automatics to begin with.

If I wanted a button up front as Scott mentions, I'd power it through the brake-light circuit. Not just for me but for the folks who come after, little kids etc.

I had this lesson rammed into me when my father was losing his mental capacity and I almost killed him over the phone because of an electrical hazard he'd ignored for twenty years because it was so trivial to avoid. I got cold feet and told him to live in the dark overnight and get a neighbor in in the morning. Months later I found out he'd been one motion away from unscrewing a live screw on the fuse box that he thought was holding in the main fuse. It was actually securing one of the clips that the fuse plugged into, and the hole had been filled with red insulating varnish when Mister Colt of Colt Patent Firearms and Fuseboxes fame had built it in 1930 or whenever. There were a dozen or so of those holes and the varnish had fallen out of half of them. Three out of four on the main...I felt sick.

Yours, David