Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:22:49 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil drain plug washer?
Comments: To: Jonathan Edwards <edwards151@GMAIL.COM>

The preferred and ideal oil level is right between the marks. reading taken on a warm engine, van sitting level.

overfilling is one of the very worst things you can do to an engine, oil wise. there has been much discussion. if you search the internet you can probably find such discussions. The general consensus is that on the full mark will shorten engine live long term.

I think right between the marks is best. that might be 4.6 qts .......or whatever it is. I would not 'jam' five qts in myself.. unless that just happens to put the level right between the marks on the dipstick.

I don't think the drain plug washer material matters too much. I put a little sealant on the treads anyway.

what I really believe in lately it an oil pressure gauge. It's nice to see that it never gets down too low at a hot idle. Eventually they will. 10 psi or higher at a hot idle is good.

I usually pre-fill a new oil filter too. be extra careful as the center hole where you put the oil in is the non-filtered, bearing side of the filter element . Can't have one spec of anything in there, except good clean oil.

Weekenders are special vanagons. Will always hold value very well if taken care of. They have the most interior room of any factory US model vanagon.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Edwards" <edwards151@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:41 AM Subject: Re: Oil drain plug washer?