Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2011 06:25:56 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: wonky temp gauge?
Comments: To: Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MYMTS.NET>

Coolant gurgling is never a good thing. That is a definite sign of a system not holding pressure and/or incorrect coolant mix. The gurgling means that not all parts are in contact with coolant, vapor is present and at some point engine-gasket damage is occurring. As coolant leaks out deposits stay in and each time coolant is added so is fresh absorbed oxygen. System that need regular additions of coolant become corrosion and deposit nightmares over time. It needs to be fixed.

Dennis

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this. The one reason I thought it might just be the gauge is that ever since I've had it (since 1993) whenever it's humid out the light flashes for a minute upon startup. Doesn't happen when it's dry out.

I've driven it a couple of days, only for a few km at a time. Once the gauge was goofy, twice not. I did notice when pulling into the driveway and turning off the motor, that I heard gurgling, faintly. Not sure what that means.

I don't believe I've ever changed the pressure cap ...

I should clarify that the only time I've been down coolant was this spring, after it had sat for 5 months. I guess the coolant went south with the snowbirds.

No signs of bubbling in the expansion tank, but how exactly would I know?

Haven't done a leakdown test, but the engine is pretty fresh so I sure hope thats not the problem.

Flushed and filled the system every couple of years, but never replaced the rad.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and yours in particular Dennis. Wish you lived closer!

Jeff