Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:34:39 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front Heater Core Shutoff
Comments: To: "Nirav V. Patel [USA]" <goodbhai@GMAIL.COM>

the heater cores do extract heat from the coolant, and that effect can be taken advantage of to help cool the engine (of most vehicles) in the event of overheating. However, it typically is not necessary, or there would be no heater shutoff valve. If it were necessary, driving any vehicle in summer would be a "roast."

mcneely

---- "Nirav V. Patel [USA]" <goodbhai@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Are the heater cores part of the system to extract heat from coolant? Is is > a necessary step in the coolant system? Or maybe that thought > is negligible? > > +nirav > > On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Jake de Villiers < > crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Why not just solder two 2 1/2" long 1/2" copper stubs into a 1/2" ball > > valve > > and stick that in there? 1/2" copper fits inside that 5/8" heater hose > > very > > well. Add a couple of clamps and you're good to go! ;) > > > > On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Edward Maglott <emaglott3@gmail.com> > > wrote: > > > > > John, > > > I have installed a prototype valve that shuts off all flow to both > > > heaters in my 2.1. It is installed in the heater hose near the > > > driver's side driveshaft. I made it out of CPVC because it was > > > cheap. I know that material is not compatible with the coolant, I > > > will take it out promptly. Probably will make the final version out > > > of copper unless someone points me to a better choice at a similar > > > price. I used a 1/2' ball valve with about 3" of 1/2" pipe sticking > > > out of each end. Cut the hose and stuck the pipes into each end and > > > secured with 2 hose clamps on each. Works great. You do have to get > > > under the van to switch it on or off, but for the really hot part of > > > the year that is probably fine. It is pretty easy to reach and do > > > without getting dirty if you lay down your piece of cardboard or tarp > > > that lives between rear cushion and engine cover. > > > > > > Neither of my heaters turn off completely. I don't notice it until > > > it is really hot. Even though there is no air moving past the rear > > > heater it heats up the whole underseat cabinet and bed area if I > > > drive a few hours. Not cool for sleeping. > > > > > > Edward > > > > > > > > > At 07:46 AM 6/24/2011, John Rodgers wrote: > > > > > >> I need to install a summer shutoff valve on the hose to the front > > >> heater core. I just cannot get the heat valve to close tight enough, and > > >> in this summer heat hot air blowing is a bit much. Is this procedure > > >> posted on a website anywhere? Got a link? > > >> > > >> Thanks, > > >> > > >> John > > >> > > >> -- > > >> John Rodgers > > >> Clayartist and Moldmaker > > >> 88'GL VW Bus Driver > > >> Chelsea, AL > > >> Http://www.moldhaus.com > > >> > > > > > > > > > -- > > Jake > > > > 1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX - 'The Grey Van' > > 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Subie - 'Dixie' > > > > Crescent Beach, BC > > > > www.thebassspa.com > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 > >

-- David McNeely