Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:10:11 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday Old Bay window...

The best thing I like about my water-cooled Vanagon compared with my 1970 air-cooled Bay that was it's predecessor, is that I don't have to adjust the valves.  I used to check/adjust the valve clearance every 3,000 miles; I put 125,000 miles on that bus, so that means 42 times I did that adjustment...no, I don't miss that at all.  But sure had a lot of fun with that first bus...the first summer I had it I put 15,000 miles on it driving completely around the USA.  Good times. Rich San Diego ________________________________ From: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 11:25 AM Subject: Friday Old Bay window... Last evening as I entered mainstreet of The Dalles, Or...an old city with a 'historic district' downtown...4 stoplights along about a mile of brick storefronts...I happened to coincide with a nice looking Bay window.  3rd St is one way, so we were driving alongside for most of it...Blue lower, muted yellow upper, spare tire cover on the front, those louvered windows in the door...curtains hanging.  It had one of those extractor exhausts we all had back in the day.  Couple of youngsters driving it....spitting and popping, slipping the clutch to get going at the stoplights...They seemed to not care much about that....just blissfully cruising alone in their Bus.....Going pas the JC Penny store and the local jeweler/watch repair shop...a flash from the past....   I was struck by how much progress had been made between the bay window and the vanagon.  Carbs as opposed to injection...sort of quiet as opposed to tinny and noisy sounding...  With the further modifications and modernization done to my own personal vanagon...Jetta gas inline motor and good exhaust system mainly...the difference is fairly substantial.   But they were enjoying themselves and so was I, so not really so different after all.  They coulda been me, 25yrs ago.   I don't miss having to take an aircooled motor out all the time to fix it, but then if you weren't too picky, if you simply turned up your tape deck or cassette a little louder and smoked another fattie, and you didn't notice when it was not running properly....I bet those young folks were...probably listening to an MP3 though, as they ignored and enjoyed....   Don Hanson