Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:46:26 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vibration when radiator fan on high speed
Comments: To: David Vickery <david_vickery@YAHOO.COM>

Hi David Wolfsburg ... I love my 87 Wofsburg ! a total 'sports car' of a vanagon. ( not with 14 inch wheels especially though ) ..

well... when I did foreign car repair day in and day out .. there would be people that would call and cry that they couldn't get their car to me.. and beg me to pick them up .. all kinds of stuff like that. They don't have a freind that can drive them ? a taxi can be expensive.. but 5 or 6 miles ? some people run that in 40 minutes. ..

But stops in Arizone don't have a simple sun shade roof ? that's bizzare.

maybe there's a vanagon buddy where you live and you can help each other get your vans in for repairs.

really though.. I've had people insist that they could not get their car to me... and that was in a well populated area full of rich people too .. not saying you are ....but some of them just could not get that it was their job to get their car to the repair shop.. and .. heck I have a friend that won't ask for anything ..and I keep telling her.. you give your friends a chance to serve you when you let them know of something they can do that you need .. it's a win-win. It's empowering both ways even. and you can drive them somewhere someday.

People don't have any trouble getting their vanagons to me... I get them in from Nevada, from California.. an engine driven down from Seattle . These days I do more 'big project work', not 'repair and service.' so much, though I do that too.

and ....really ....with the age of vanagons now ..it is NEVER just that a tired part needs to be replaced.. it's that 15 things need to be addressed. I get vans in for one thing...it commonly turns into 12 things, and I'm not overselling or anything like that. I am just idetifying the very worn out, loose, rusted, or whatever falling off parts that so many vanagons suffer from. I even ask people 'are you sure you want me to tell you about all the things I find worn out or wrong or not working on your van ???"

and really .. day in and day out 'foreign car repair' with the shop only working daytine hours 5 days a week.. and those guys trying get out of there at 5 or 6 o'clock with all jobs fixed and done right, and on time.. that is Horribly Streesful .. I am so glad I don't do that anymore. and ..the more speicialized a shop you find.. they better they will be at *everything* assoicated with working on your type of car. Tehre amy not be enough vanagons in your area to support a typical medium size shop with employees though...doing mainly vanagons only. That's not even practical for most shops. but you find one that really is into them .. and they know all the tricks and weak areas etc.

as for 'where a shop is' .. 5 or 6 miles is 'right over there' .. and bus systems .. a terrible way to get around. 'the car' used apppropiately is a fantastic invention. I don't even feel safe on a public bus.

find a friend to help you with schelping the van to the shop for a start. That will help a lot.

some of my sayings.. 'Fixing a vanagon when it breaks is a horrible way to take care of it.'

now maybe .. taking a vanagon to a regular car shop, no matter how fancy or expensive .. is not a very good way to take care of it.

'shops' are really just 'parts repalcers' and they do 'standard jobs' ..like cluth or brakes. They don't even have time to really do all the little details these special vehicles need. I spend at least as much time treating rust and neglected things as I do fixing common broken or worn out things.

And I have seen a local somewhat fancy shop spend 800 hundred dollars of someone's money on their Vanagon ..on things they didn't even need that much .. and not even notice or catch that 5 of the 6 rear running lights were out !!!!

I mean really .. if you are smart ..and you are looking for work that a vehicle may need, and you care about doing a good job for people ...and their safety .. wouldn't you at least check their exterior running lights for them when the van is in for a significant amount of work !?? ( not in this car repair culture evidently ) . how hard is that !! jeez. That is ALL TOO COMMON for what passes for 'car repair' in this culture. Uusally you are not getting much really.

don't get me started- I have seen a Cadilac get worked on to the tune of hundreds of dollars with a squeaky driver's door and no one could take a second to give it a shot of lube ..I had to get the service writers to do it for my friend's cadilac. that's what you can commonly get in regular shops. It's pathetic. No concept whatsoever of what 'service' is .......I mean like a nun is in service to god..that kind of 'service' . It's not even in ameican consciousness very much. Certainly not much in the auto world. Really ..what they do is 'look for JUSTIFIABLE PROFITABLE repairs. ' that's what the do. if they can mostly honestly say your front end needs $ 900 ...that's what they'll tell you .. and then do the job in 4 hours max. At very high profit. And maybe something you didn't really, really need that much.

these days I tell them ( like tire mounting people ) I am willing to pay Extra to have it done right and carefully.

good luck on your Vanagon repairs !

I can even tell people what they have not done .. I could 'just tell' a guy didn't fill his coolant license plate after remounting it today. I just knew it. I 'knew' a guy on the list stroked the brake pedal all the way to the floor, on a used brake master cylinder...and that's why he had mushy brakes. I could just tell that from here. I 'just knew' a guy working for me did not test the heater/defroster after changing the coolant on a vanagon, a long time ago.

anyway ...bad car work is pretty common. Sad to say.

( I'll write about the driver's mental connection with the engine and how it's running one of these days. I drive many vans and I hoped into one the other day .. I forgot for a minute if I was in a diesel or gas vanagon and realized ...the mental connection I have with the inner workings of the engine and fuel system and everything wasn't quite 'on' ...as soon as I realized which van and engine I was driving.. my mind was right in there with the injectors spraying, the distrbutor making igntion etc. If you develope that with your vanagon ..it's a whole other world. .. far different from conductiing it down the road and watching to see if it does the right things. - almost like you are 'making' it do the right things. )

what fun ! if anyone read this far, sorry it got so long ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Vickery" <david_vickery@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:31 AM Subject: Re: Vibration when radiator fan on high speed

What Scott said. The shop I go to is excellent and they stop you from trying to do too much at once. They realize it is inefficient, and I have found it more expensive when I have insisted on a few things at once. I think I am paying for more down time.

And maybe find another shop. The closest doesn't mean the best. Filling a AC system with R12 doesn't sound like the right way to test for leaks. Stripping a drain plug could also be a warning flag unless it wasn't their fault.

Figure out a better way to get your van serviced. Stick a bike in the van and get some exercise riding home, or a moped. Or get a lift, or find a shop that has a loaner car. Finding an excellent shop is job 1 for a vanagon owner.