Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:40:50 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I4 Happenings in turbovans land
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:35 AM, miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com>wrote:

> Scott, I got the following, from > http://www.foreignautosupply.com/Tiico_Owners_Page.html > > Engine Details: The Tiico is a 2.0L and not a 1.8L. The block is of a > 1.8L > but the Crank, piston rod, and piston exchange provide the displacement to > increase to 2.0L. The purpose of this is to have a block that is 2cm lower > so everything fits under the engine lid. > Miguel > > A 2.0 liter motor will fit under the decklid of vanagon without messing around with the internals of the block. There are many of us out here happily running just such motors. The fitment issues with the 2.0 liter motors is that they have cross flow heads which puts intake parts on the right hand (Up, when mounted as the diesel Vanagon 4 bangers are) so that the deck lid won't clear. Tossing the cross-flow head and replace it with the 1.8 liter head makes a good clean installation with no clearance issues inside the van. It is necessary to slightly modify the driver's side front of the engine compartment (as is the case when transplanting all the inline gas motors that are mounted at 50degrees) to clear the throttle body..Nothing major.

The 1.8 liter / 2.0 liter head swap seems fairly common with the VW Tuner set for more power in their street hot rods. There are lots of aftermarket speed and performance items available for these motors....fancy valve heads, forged pistons...all that. Techtonics Tuning in Oregon has a whole line of convenience items to make that head swap simple, plus a write up on their website. When I swapped a 2.0 liter block (93 Jetta motor) into my inline gasser vanagon they were very helpful with advice and in return, I bought many of my parts (headgaskets, etc) from them. Below is a link to their tech tips page outlining the ABA/1.8 liter head swap.

http://www.techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=page&id=8&chapter=5

I do not have the Tiico package in my van..saying that upfront...For general interest, however...

.... I do lurk on the Tiico forum. My installation is mechanically similar to the Tiicos.

It's my understanding that this F.A.S. group has recently taken over from the original guy who first had the Tiico business, and they are 1000% better than he was. It's my impression that many of the complaints from Tiico owners were the result of sloppy work and indifferent customer service by the original U.S. Tiico guy... It seems these new guys have been retro-helping the older Tiico owners get their rigs working properly. They are being praised amongst the Tiico owners. FAS seems to be developing new items to make that conversion better. There have been lots of posts recently from happy Tiico owners, some with quite high mile conversions.

One issue that seems to have become "common knowledge" (urban myth) about the Tiico and inline four conversions is that they are said to vibrate...Some have, from what I hear....but FAS has traced this down mainly to poor alignment between the motor and the tranny. That may be the "sloppy work" I mentioned. Their answer is to always connect the two major parts of the drivetrain together before they are firmly anchored into the vehicle...making sure the tranny and the engine are aligned to each other and to the vehicle.

Don Hanson