Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:17:19 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Problem: 88 Auto Front Radiator Fan comes on when I turn on
              the van.
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

Actually David Bierel just reminded me that it is probably a problem in the AC system since the radiator fan switch has full time hot so it would just stay on all the time (even when the van is shut off). If it is shutting off with the van shutting off then most likely what has happened is that someone has inadvertently turned your AC on (temp switch). Check to me sure this is turned off. If it is then it could be a problem with a relay in the back of the van but I am betting that the switch got bumped or turned on by a little kid or something.

On 6/27/2011 12:38 PM, Robert Stewart wrote: > Thanks Ken! > > Robert > > On Jun 27, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Ken Wilford wrote: > >> Robert, >> >> I would unplug the radiator fan switch and see if that turns it off. >> If it does then I would say that this switch has failed. The fan >> switch is located by removing the lower grille and then you can see >> it on the driver's side lower part of the radiator. New ones are $19 >> so it is not a big deal to replace. Let me know. >> >> -- >> Thanks, >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com <http://www.vanagain.com> >> Phone: 856-327-4936 >> Fax: 856-327-2242 >> >> >> >> On 6/27/2011 12:21 PM, Robert Stewart wrote: >>> So the other day I started the van (1988 Auto GL Wolfsburg Edition >>> with AC - Not charged) and the front Radiator Fan went on a stayed >>> on while I was driving. >>> >>> The engine was cold and it was not hot out. >>> >>> It stayed on during the entire drive and only shuts off when I turn >>> the ignition is off. >>> >>> All temp sensors on the engine and coolant system were replaced 1 >>> year ago as well as all coolant lines and a coolant flush. >>> >>> Any ideas? >>> >>> Fuse, Relay? >>> >>> Any advice would be appreciated. >>> >>> I am a real beginner when it comes to electrical so if its an >>> electrical issue please explain it as simply as possible. >>> >>> Thanks again to everyone for invaluable assistance! >>> >>> Robert >>> NY >>> 88 Auto Vanagon >>> 5,000 on rebuilt engine. >> >