Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:13:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: I4 Happenings in turbovans land
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

HI Don.. I've already done an inline four gas swap .. in about 1995 .. an 88 jetta RV code, 8 valve 1.8.

and 20+ diesel conversions .. I could do an inline four blindfolded basically.

the customer on this 91 GL Tiico is a little ... not feeling quite safe yet. it's a two party deal.. which always is risky. I plan to have a good talk with the money person on this one .

I don't even know if it runs right.. once it does have four working cylinders again. so we'll see.

I think inline four gas conversions using diesel bell housing are just great. The 8 valve 1.8 is smooth in my experience.. but marginal power at say 65 on a slight grade.

I drove one guy's 2.0 ..it wasn't impressive, but he said it wasn't running right.

this Tiico 91 GL .. if it was mine I'd re-engineer the whole engine installation. I try to do very artful solid conversion work .. this Tiico installation is sure not up to my standards. They probably just want it to run. Hey ..long as I get paid for doing good work.

oh ..here's one for you .. I drove a syncro with a Carrodo G60 ( or whatever G number is ) Supercharger-equipped engine only a 1.8 . but that thing scooted .

I think inline four gas vw engines have the potential to be very long-liffed and reliable vanagon engines. Be nice to have more than only a hundred to the low hundreds horsepower wise. Vanagons do well with 135 hp and an engine that can turn 6,000 rpm .. and more powerful engines than that.

I'd like to build a 2.0 subaru turbo .. or run an EJ20 .. like a JDM non-turbo engine .. but those are not inline fours, which is what this group is about - whoops, we're on Gerry. .

all right.. last one ..here's one fer ya .... 86 Syncro, Zetec engine .. in PA .and asking price is way low. I havn't seen any pics of it yet.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 10:03 PM Subject: Re: I4 Happenings in turbovans land