Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:04:50 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I4 Happenings in turbovans land
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:28 AM, mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote:

> Some people have had good service from their TIICO. I would not say they > are crap, just that they have a checkered past. I would dare to say the > same about most any conversion. Exhaust durability issues prevail. The > conversions improved with time and further development.

Depending on the swap, some might be tempted to find kludgy work arounds or poorly fabricated parts.

Not to get too far OT, but if one is mentally trying to deal with a "thousand" things during the swap process, something like an exhaust system detail(s) can easily get overlooked. This was my experience to a certain degree but then I "bit off" quite a bit for a 1st time effort; I had never made an exhaust system before let alone do any real attempts at welding.

Rhetorical questions: was Tiico exempt from this mind set? What parts and techniques did they develop in house?

One image I have of the Tiico engine shows the exhaust downpipe flange bolted straight to the manifold. Yes the DV did this too, but .... are the exhaust damaging vibrations one typically sees in an I4 gas engine present in a DV engine, same RPM? Regardless, I think that was part of the problem in the Tiico exhaust design; bolting the downpipe straight to the manifold. On the Mk3 (and later?) VW put those flex bushings between manifold and downpipe flange for a reason as they did with their "toilet bowl" junction for the single downpipe.

Neil.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines