Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:11:02 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Level
Comments: To: dan rick <danrick01@YAHOO.COM>

yes, you should always guess at what part you think it might be, then get the part, then change it, even if it's really hard work like lowering the gas tank.

then when you find out that wasn't it . *then* do some testing and troubleshooting.

( though that was interesting to read that reseating the connector to David's sender fixed his .. and you can just sneak in there a little just dropping the tank some...like don't remove filler neck, just lower left side. )

Very often it's not 'a part' . it's more like connection or cleaning something.

but the first step is always troubleshooting and testing .. not getting a part.

thousands of fuel pumps have been sold that way ( and returned ) ..people don't know why a car doesn't run ..but 'fuel pump' does fit the symptom after all.. so ..they guess at that part. then they want to return it. Parts stores like to say they are not running a parts loaning service.

the first focus should be on 'diagnosis and testing' ..not on 'what part it might be'.

sure, sometimes it is a part.. but very, very often it's not 'a part'. It's a connection, or corrosion, etc. or a small part, like voltage regulator/stabilizer in the dash.

I can't even think of a bad fuel sender in a vanagon that I have ever seen. And Bentley even has some tests in it I believe.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "dan rick" <danrick01@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:46 AM Subject: Fuel Level